Wednesday, November 23, 2011

T H A N K S G I V I N G

I don't have to tell you that tomorrow is Thanksgiving...I am pretty sure everyone knows that by now.  As I sit here in front of my computer screen thinking about my blog and what should I write about today...my mind keeps thinking about past Thanksgivings.   Now, when you are 58 years old, you have a lot of past Thanksgivings to remember. If you will allow me to go back into my memory bank, I would like to share a heart memory from the Thanksgivings our family had during the years mom and dad lived up north.

"Over the River and Through the Woods...to Grandmothers House We Go".... for several years after my dad retired my family and my sister and her family would gather at mom and dads up north house for Thanksgiving.  Tom and the kids would pick me up at the bank and we would head out for the three hour journey.  Traditionally, the first stop was at Long John Silvers in Bay City.  yummmmy.  Then back on the road.  We started seeing snow around Clair.  And the closer we got to Harrietta the more snow we saw. 

Mom started her baking and cooking days before.  She LOVED having all of us there.  The minute you walked into the door, the magic began.  Mom and Dad met you at the door with smiles beaming from their faces.  I can still see dad with his quilted plaid shirt and mom with some really cute sweat shirt.  You could not even get up to the door before it would swing open and there they were ready for hugs and kisses and everyone was talking at the same time.  Sharon and Roy were usually there before us, so her family was a big part of the welcoming committee. 

The grand kids immediately went to work on their "annual" entertainment preparations.  Lance was usually the leader of the pack. His leadership skills shown through as he assigned the parts to the other 5.  Some would sing, some would dance and some would tell stories.  We knew whatever was in store for us was going to be full of belly laughs and lots of fun.  Of course we had to have a ticket to attend, so some of the kids were assigned the task of creating the tickets. 

Thanksgiving Dinner over and the sun setting in the sky meant it was time for the show.  Here we would all come.  With ticket in hand, we would find our favorite seat in the living room and the show would begin.  Sharon and Roy were in charge of the video and those have become a precious treasure now that our little stars are now grown and have children of their own.

If you do not have them already, start this Thanksgiving to make some of those heart memories to carry with you.  It helps when me when I must face Thanksgiving Day without Mom, Dad, Dan, and Tom.  

Read it, study it, live it...the Word of God.
It is powerful and full of tools to live by.

Have a Super Wonderful Day...

   Smile at everyone you walk past, it will make them wonder what mischief you have been up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment